Monday, February 2, 2009

Copying Andrea

I believe this is my third blog in the past ten years. I had a Xanga and a LiveJournal before. Simply click on the links to read up on my past exciting life. But really though, Blogger may be the winner. It looks relatively easy to manage, and that's just wonderful since I'm all about simplicity. My younger sister, Andrea, recently started to write, so I thought I'd follow suit...despite the fact that I've been blogging for ten years now. Whatever.

So...what could I possibly write about for my first entry? I don't know. Most blogs aren't even read, yet we all take some form of pride in our own. That doesn't make much sense. I think maybe it's because it gives us some kind of existence in a different venue. We want to exist both in the real world and the cyber world. Or, is it the other way around? We want to exist in the cyber world because we don't exist in the real world? I think that's definitely true for some people...like those who blog about their Star Wars scene and quotation of the day.

Where do I fall into? I'm going to take the easy way out and give the usual excuse: I'm here so I can connect to all of my friends at one time. Communication via blog is so much faster and cooler. Yeah right. I actually enjoy writing. Well, I shouldn't say enjoy. I enjoy the fact that writing is a release for me...a release from the real world. There we go. That's where I fall in. I have a blog because it's an escape from the real world. Wait. But everything I write about actually happened in the real world. So, I am bringing the real world into a "fake" world. That doesn't make any sense.

I'm actually just wasting time on campus before I have to go pick up Andrea. I had Biology this morning at 8, then I was supposed to have another Biology class at 11, but Dr. Sandbach canceled because of the weather (but it wasn't even bad today). Speaking of which, I'm not sure how many of you know that I returned to school this semester. Yes, I already graduated in May from UT. Yes, I have a degree in something useless. Yes, I couldn't find a job as a teacher. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense since there's supposedly a huge shortage of teachers in the country. Yes, I changed my mind about law school. Yes, I should've listened to my mother when she said I should stick with medicine.
And yes, I know I keep switching from medicine to law and then back and need to make up my mind at one point. And I have. I want to go back to medical school. And I will. I have my heart set on becoming a cardiovascular surgeon.

I'm now attending St. Edward's. UT, like any other supposed prestigious university, actually won't let you take more than three sciences a semester. I only need science credits for medical school since I've everything else, so I wanted to attend some place where I could solely take them in one bulk.
Plus, I didn't really enjoy my time at UT. St. Edward's was the answer, but with a nice price...slightly more than double the price, actually. What's worse is that I'm now paying for my schooling. Well, I shouldn't say "paying," since I had to get a loan out, so "they" are actually paying for it at the time being. My scholarship was discontinued after I graduated from UT, so I have to cough up the money some other way. In the long run though, I'd be paying the same amount either way. I can spend $4 grand a semester at UT, taking only three science courses at a time, or I can spend/owe $9 a semester at St. Edward's taking as many courses and labs that I want.

But other than the money issue, I do love it here. I shouldn't say love. That's always too strong of a word, isn't it? Unless, of course, I'm referring to Paul McCartney...then love wouldn't suffice what I feel for him. I like it here and am enjoying it so far. My classes are small. Chemistry's my largest class with about 30 kids. Yeah. My smallest class is one of my Biology ones, with only 12. Yeah. No way in Hell would you be attending such a small science class at UT.
Science courses were auditorium/movie-theater-huge. We're talking 200-300 kids. I really don't understand how anyone could learn like that. As an English and Government major, I was spoiled with relatively small classes at UT. My English classes had about 20-25 kids, if that. My Government courses had about 50 kids. So, St. Edward's small classes are really comforting.

I also find the fact that there are no graduate students teaching very comforting. The professors do everything here. At big universities, grad students teach a lot of the freshman general, lower-division courses. Most of the time, they're idiots who have no idea what's going on. Especially with labs. Thankfully, that's not the case here. Professors actually conduct the labs and can answer your question since they know what's going on. It's like a whole different world. Kind of like an alternative world where you can escape to from the real world.

Okay. Maybe not that great.

I will say though, that I've noticed that a lot of weirdos go here. I mean, don't get me wrong. UT has quite its share of weirdos, but not all of them are weird. It's very cliquey here. I'm sure it's because everyone thinks they're rich and intelligent for attending a private university...I don't know. I've also noticed that a lot of the kids here look like they just came out of the 80s. They look more like 80s-wanna-be rejects or something. Then there are tons of those artsy-fartsy kids who go out of their way to wear their "art" on them to express their individuality. They wear those obnoxious plastic glasses that resemble some ugly modern art sculpture, a plaid beret that they knitted the night before while munching on organic asparagus from Central Market, and worn-out Chucks. God, I fucking hate those people.

But enough about why I don't enjoy a lot of people. Well, I want to share one more thing about why I do, and then I'm going to end this to do some Chemistry homework.

I had my first exam on Tuesday. One of my Biology classes. The exam was divided into the five chapters we covered and contained an answer sheet where you were to transfer your answers onto it, one column per chapter. When the exam was over, the girl who sits to the left of me informed the professor that she didn't finish transferring her chapter five answers onto the sheet. I glanced at it; and sure enough, the entire column was completely blank.

Professor, "Oh, I'll give you two minutes to transfer your answers onto the answer sheet."
She looked at him for a second and confessed, "Well, uh...that's the thing. I don't know any of the answers because I didn't actually read chapter five. I read some of the other chapters, but I didn't have time for the last one."
"Chapter five was a big chapter and the most important." And it was the most salient. Macromolecules and shit.
"I know, but I just didn't have time. What should I do?"
"Well, you should've read and studied. I suppose you can guess."
"Uh, I'll just turn it in blank since I really have no clue."

Freaking idiot.

She got a 40 something. I looked at her score when we got our exams back this morning. I'm so nosy. I, on the other hand, got the highest grade in the class. I know it wasn't much competition considering there are only 12 kids and because of some of them seem to be idiots, but still.

But yeah, I need to do some Chemistry. For those of you who have blogs on here, do please add me to your buddy list/subscriptions or whatever they call it on here, and I will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment