Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hell Week: Part II

Another busy week for me.

Last week, I had a lab write-up and two exams. This week, I have three exams. Someone shoot me.

Maybe it won't be too bad. I mean, I just have a Bio lab exam, a Chemistry exam, and an Evolution exam. Right? Anyone?

Nevermind. It does sound bad.

The pain will be over soon though. My last exam, Evolution, in on Thursday, from 11 to 12:15. I'm going to take a well-deserved and multi-hour nap right afterwards. I can't wait. I'm drooling already just thinking about it.

I shouldn't even be writing in this right now. I have SO much studying to do. I took a break from making my study guide for my Bio lab exam. My God, do I hate my Bio lab. My exam for this is on Monday. It's so ridiculous. For this exam, we'll be given some species. They'll be microscopic, in a jar, in a glass box, or split right down the middle. Not only do we have to identify the body part and its structure, but we have to identify the species and its entire taxonomic classification.

What...the...fuck?

We have to know crap like sponges, algae, crustaceans, and insects. There are a lot of insects we're responsible for knowing. I suppose I understand that we have to at least know what kind of beetle we're observing, but do we have to know its phylum, class, order, family, and species? I mean, really? I really doubt that any of my future patients are going to ask me if I know the Texas Hercules Beetle's taxonomy.

"Doctor, before you perform surgery on my heart and make me all better, I was wondering if you could help me with something?"
"Oh, sure. Hopefully I'll be able to help. What is it?"
"Well...do you happen to know the Texas Hercules Beetle's taxonomy?"
"You know what, Timothy? I actually do know it. I had this ridiculous Bio lab years ago, where I had to know so many taxonomic classifications. Let's see here...the Texas Hercules Beetle. Oh, yes. It's from the Eukaryota domain, animalia kingdom, antropoda phylum, hexapoda sub-phylum, to be more precise. Of course, it's from the insecta class, odonta order, the scarabaeidae family, dynastes genus, and finally, of the dynastes tityus species."

You see what I mean? I can never see that happening. Unless, of course, Timothy's heart was punctured by a Texas Hercules Beetle… What are the odds of that happening? Um, little to none. But even then, is he going to care about its taxonomy? No!

I just think it's stupid that I have to know this shit. Well, not know...but memorize this shit.

I'm just bitter. Don't mind me.

I'm a little worried about my Evolution exam. Dr. S asks such detailed questions. She'll refer to a diagram from the book and will ask what it illustrated. What? I don't remember all of the pictures, let alone when I’m asked a question such as, “Diagram 24.7 illustrated Hutton’s and Lyell’s influence on Darwin’s theory of evolution through which types of fossils?”

Again, what...the...fuck?

It’s just interesting to me that she expects us to be so organized and perspicacious to all details, even the insignificant ones. And here she is, one of the worst teachers I’ve ever had. Don’t get me wrong. I mean, the fact that she looks like a bum straight off The Drag instead of an internist, or the fact that she’s a trendy liberal who loves everything Barack, plays no factor whatsoever on my opinion of her as a teacher. Those two facts, however, do influence what I think of her as a person. But that’s a completely different matter and blog entry, one which I will not and cannot get into right now.

She’s all over the place when she teaches. My notes are chockfull of ellipses. I do love using ellipses in my own informal writing, but not when it comes to my notes and lectures. I’m not saying she’s stupid. That’s not what I’m saying. She’s smart as hell; she just doesn’t know how to teach and present the material effectively, that’s all. She understands the material, but she can’t make anyone else understand it. Oh well. I suppose we’ll just have to see how it goes on Thursday.

So, I just learned from Andrea that Dad’s on his way to Austin to buy strawberries. Apparently, Dad and the kids ate all of Mom’s strawberries that she was going to use for a cake that someone ordered (Mom also caters on the side). Grace and Andrea bought long-stem strawberries for her, which Grace brought back to Kerrville yesterday. Then today, Dad and the kids ate them all. Mom got mad, threw a fit, which of course always leads to Dad acting like a child and acting in unison. He’s on his way right now to ATX as I type, which is a two-hour drive from Kerrville, just to buy strawberries to replace the ones he and the kids ate. I know.

Thrice, what...the...fuck?

Anyone want to hang out and get trashed on Thursday night after Hell Week II is over? At the least, go out for dinner and a movie? Perhaps, even come over to watch Grey’s Anatomy and play some Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

Oh! Speaking of which, they’re coming out with a Beatles Rock Band game this year! Super excited for that! We’ll definitely be having a Beatles Rock Band Game Release Party. Expect invitations!

But yeah, if you’re interested about Thursday night, please do give me a call or send a text.

1 comment: